Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, April 18, 2011

April 17th

Hola a todos mis amigos y familia que estèn leyendo mi carta en este dìa. Estoy muy animado poder dirigirme hacia ustedes......hi....haha.

Well....several have asked me if it is still hot in Honduras.......yeah...it is. This week is Semana Santa (Holy Week), the hottest week of the entire year.

This week we weren’t able to have any baptisms. We have been having a little bit of trouble with Sandra lately. She doesn’t have a lot of education, and so she is not able to read the Book of Mormon, and she isn’t really doing her part to be able to receive a testimony. It seems like she is visiting a bunch of churches all at once, so that she might be able to receive “as many blessings as possible.” We had Elder Cardon interview her to see if she was prepared for baptism, but she didn’t pass. She didn’t come to church the next day either. So, we’re not really sure about her, we are going to keep working hard to have her understand the message of the Restoration.

This week we had interviews with Pres. Flores, my last one as a field missionary. We talked about what I can do in order to reach my maximum potential as a servant of the Lord. What we talked about was really good for me, and all I can say is, I have nothing holding me back from being the best missionary that I can be! I also took the time during the interviews to take a Spanish test by BYU which the mission provides. I will be waiting for the results, and then I’ll have to figure out what to do with them later haha!

After the interviews, Elder Torres and I knelt down to pray and asked for a family. We prayed so that we could be guided to find the chosen people. Immediately after the prayer, I felt the impression to go to a certain place that we haven’t really gone to before, and we began contacting. On the 3rd house, we found the family that we were looking for. We found them in a pulperia, which is a small store located on almost every corner of Honduras. Usually, it’s very difficult to contact and teach pulperìa’s, because they never close them, and so the people are always super busy. We taught a recently married couple with a brand new 2 month old baby. Josè Carlos, a fanatic of hunting deer, and he also collects guns (he’s got some nasty puppies in his house, by puppies I mean guns). His wife, Paola, is an inactive member. Her family has been inactive since she was 11, and now she is 22. She was really excited to get to know the church again, and Josè Carlos is awesome!

That day, we just talked to them for a little bit, and then we put the next appointment to get to know their house. On Friday we went to their house, which turned out to be Super far away. They live in a beautiful cottage house with lots of property out in the woods with nice scenery all around. We were in shock when we got to their house!

They came to church this Sunday too! I think we found our next baptisms for May. Today at night we are going to invite Josè Carlos to be baptized! He is good friends with a lot of people in the ward, and absolutely loved the meetings. We even put him in a home teaching pair (with us haha) to go out and visit other people, AND he already has 2 referrals of his 2 friends that want to get to know the church too! Man haha, and that is just after 2 times of visiting him! I love this family.

Anyways, that’s about all that I have for you guys this week. Things are going well for me, thanks for all of your prayers, because I feel them strengthening me as I go on. Thanks for all of your support.

Vaya Pues!

Elder Tinkham