Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, April 11, 2011

April 11th

Hello once again to all of my family and friends out there! Another lovely week has passed us by. I hope that you are all doing well. The Vin Diesel look is still sporting (just to clarify I’m not way bald like him haha, because that would be against the mission rules!) The funny part is...mom and dad, remember the 2 bald spots that I have on my head from the IV that I had in my head? Haha well they are quite visible now, and so everybody thinks that I got shot, or stoned or something like that. So, it makes for some fun stories.

This week Elder Torres and I held the monthly zone meeting with everybody, so that we could hype them all up to do something incredible in April (fingers crossed!) We talked about our theme that we had created for this month. Elder Torres and I decided that the theme for the month of April was going to be Alma 37:6-7 where it talks about by small and simple things, great things come to pass. We plan on having some great thing happen, and so we have to focus on the little things in order to have success. Little things like “small rules” that some missionaries consider not too important. We feel like if we can make that happen, the Lord will consider us worthy of a blessing.

We have seen a LOT of trials come into the zone this week, myself included. As a missionary, we really are separated from the world, and we are able to have tons of spiritual experiences all the time. But, like the scriptures say, there is opposition in all things, and so we also see a LOT of not so good stuff too. Let me tell you, I’m getting a little bit tired of dealing with Satan, he’s got me exhausted, but I haven’t given up yet!

The other elders in Guaimaca, Elder Cardon and Elder Quinteros, changed houses the other day, and now live in a really nice apartment complex that even has a small soccer court in the complex. So every morning we go over there to play soccer, 2 on 2, to get some good exercise. It’s doing me good, and I’m also getting pretty good at soccer too!

In Guaimaca, once again we had a lot of baptisms this Saturday. Elder Torres and I just had 1, but the other elders had 7! It was a long day of interviews on Friday haha, but things turned out really great. The other Elders baptized a family, and a couple of neighbors that live next door to that family as well. Our baptism’s name is Carlos, but everyone calls him “El Chino” (the Chinese guy). Not really sure why haha, he does look a little bit Chinese, but here in Honduras the nicknames really stick with you haha. He is 15, and was a reference of the Hna. Gissela, the once less-active now active member that we were able to help out. He is her neighbor, and so we have been teaching him for awhile now. Everything went well with him, and I had the opportunity to baptize him because he had chosen me. It was a lovely experience for me.

Due to the amount of marriages, we have been going to the government building of the city, or whatever it’s called in English haha. Anyways, we spent a lot of time working on data of people with the secretaries there, and so we took advantage of the time to talk a little bit about the church. One of the secretaries, Angela, actually seemed to be pretty interested. Well, the other day when I was in interchanges with another Elder, we stumbled upon her house. We have now taught her twice, and everything seems to be going pretty good. She has a couple of doubts, but she is very sincere, and is willing to find out the truth.

Anyways, that’s about all I have for you guys this week. I hope that you take care, and that you have a wonderful week!

Vaya Pues!

Elder Tinkham