Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3rd

A very sweaty hello to all of you back home and throughout the world, I hope everything is going well with you. Things are heating up once again here in Honduras, though the rainy season is looming. To start off, I'll answer a few of my mom's questions. First about the shower...yes, I finally have a shower that works. But the problem is, the water temperature is about negative 80 degrees. Every morning I feel like I'm in the navy SEALs taking my resist freezing water temperatures test. But all is well with that. And with the laundry, there is a guy that washes our clothes for us so we're good on that aspect as well!

Anywho, this week has been pretty normal for me in Ciudad España. I'll start out with the good highlights of the week. First of all, we had interviews with President Flores this week, and that was so awesome. I don't know what it is about him but even if you feel like you're perfectly clean, you always leave the interview with him after a good hefty repentance, but there is nothing wrong with that. I have learned a whole lot about repentance on my mission here and all I can say is it's the best thing there is on the planet! I left the interview feeling really great and extremely uplifted.

Elder Torres and I have been working really hard in order to find new investigators these last few days, but sadly we are just coming up with nothing. Being in Ciudad España is definitely the hardest thing that has been put forth for me so far in the mission. We are working as hard as we can so that, at least the area doesn't get shut down for failure on our part. It's difficult to work in my area since it's a small residence about an hour away from the city, and everyone has to work in the city because there isn't anything in Ciudad España, just houses. The bosses in Teguc don't want to hire the people because they live so far and the transport is limited, so things are difficult in that respect. All the members have work and are gone all day, so it's nearly impossible to receive help from the them because they are working hard enough just to provide for their families. But all I can say is, we're doing the best we can.

I wanted to take the time to talk about the Hno. Nicolas this week. He is an investigator of ours, an eternal investigator as they call them, because he is not able to be baptized. He isn't divorced to his old wife with whom he lived with, nor is he married to the current wife he is with. The problem is that he wants to divorce and marry so that he can be baptized, because he has a testimony of the church, but the 2 don't want to do it. He is in a very difficult situation, and I feel really bad for him. This week in testimony meetings, he got up and bore his testimony, and it was incredibly spiritual. He said that he knew perfectly well that he was not doing the right thing disobeying the commandments of God and that he should be baptized, and he was going to try his best to change. He then testified of the truthfulness of the Gospel, and my heart was opened. I really love the guy, and I was so grateful for his testimony. It was a good moment for me, and really helped me out with my desire to continue working hard here in Ciudad España.

We are having a lot of problems this week finding new investigators, especially families. It seems like all the people that want to be baptized can't, and those that can don't want to! We're doing all that we can, and I am very grateful for the prayers from every one of you that I know you are saying. I hope everything is going well with you. But, I don't want you all to get worried about me, I'd like to refer you to a page of PMG where it talks about success (see page 10). It says that although we might not have success in our areas, we can know that we are a successful missionary when we are worthy and doing all that we can. All I can say is, I hope I am planting seeds here, and that one day they will flourish.

Vaya Pues,
Elder Tinkham