Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Letter written 4/25/10 received 5/8/2010

Dear Family,

Well, it has been a really long time since I sat down and wrote you guys. I'm sorry about that, the only excuse I have is that there are lots of things to do around here, and in the nighttime we just get hit with such laziness haha, but tonight I'm persevering! How are you all doing? I miss you so much, but of course I could never be happier than I am right now serving the Lord.

Right now I'm still a newbie in my 3rd area. This has definitely been by most difficult area to work in due to the extreme lack of members to help us out and increasing opposition to the Church, so I need to increase my faith a lot in order to do the work the Lord has required of me.

If my memory suits me right, Dallin will be graduation high school in about a month, hitting up summer classes at SLCC, then heading off to Utah State (with my car !?!?). I can't believe how ancient I am becoming if my little brother is graduating AND my little sister is going to be turning 13 and be in 8th grade! I'm not even going to recognize you when I get back, you old farts, you!

Here in the mission I have learned more than I have in any type of learning institution, and I still have a long way to go. I'm starting to get close to being the missionary I want to be, and with daily repentance and a lot of hard work, I know I can achieve my goal. I am no longer scared to talk to anyone in Spanish, because I'd say that right now I know more Spanish than English, as I am finding it hard to write this letter! If something sounds weird or is wrong, it's because I'm translating from Spanish to English in my head.

I love you guys so much, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity that we have to be an eternal family sealed by the priesthood power. Before the mission I never really understood nor appreciated that, but now that I do, it couldn't bring me more joy than it does now. If we all do our part to obey the commandments in this life, we will receive our eternal gift.

This gospel is true, I don't have a doubt in my mind about that. Although people may challenge me or dispute with me, they may be able to take away everything I have, but they cannot separate me from my testimony of the truth. Thank you for showing that to me from the beginning mom and dad, I owe you a lifetime of debt. I love you so much, and I'll see you in one short year! ;-)

Vaya Pues,
Elder Tyler Tinkham