Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, November 30, 2009

November 30

Hola once again to all of my family and friends!

The elections went by pretty smoothly and it looks like this week I'm going to be free to roam the streets once again of Comayagua! I am THRILLED to hear the news about James going to Chile! (Tylers good friend James Richards received his mission call to Chile, Anto Fagasta last Wednesday) And BUMMED about the Utah game, but from what I'm hearing it doesn't matter TOO much because TCU seems to be unstoppable and we are below their scale.

By the way mom, I got your package this week! THANK YOU!!! My first package out here in the mission field and it was awesome! Everyone loves that red tie, like seriously I have to be careful with it cause the day I wore it a lot of women flirted with me and I did not enjoy it! but thanks MOM!!

Once again this week was one of very hard work and sweat, but a good one at that. One day when we were walking to an appointment this week we were apprehended by a member of the High Council, who says he is in charge of the well-being in the Stake, and he wanted to go with us and visit a whole ton of less actives and inactives, and that we did. He accompanied us ALL afternoon Tuesday and Thursday, and is going to go with us again this upcoming Wednesday, it was really effective and he is an amazing guy who really has the spirit with him. It made me think of you dad and I hope you're working this hard too! haha just kidding.

We also had interviews with President Flores this week, and this time it was a little different. Usually he just checks if we have any problems or if everything is going well with us, but this week was different. He started out by asking for my planner, and checked about everything we did and was asking me a ton of questions. All in all it was an interview that really helped me out and was really uplifting because he said that he had a lot of confidence in me and that I was really improving. Transfers are coming up on December 9th, and I am quite nervous that I'm going to be transferred out of Piedras Bonitas, cause I don't want to go yet! I want to stay just one transfer more so I can have Christmas and New Years here with the members that I know so well, and that I can finish the work I have done here, but we'll see what the Lord has in store for me.

Things with my investigators are going steady still. After the baptism of José and Maria we were without baptismal dates for another family, but this week we put one for Hmo. Hector, the father of the Fam. Mejia. We basically are only teaching him and his wife, because the kids are hardly around. Hector is amazing and is following all of the commitments that we leave with him, and I couldn't ask more out of an investigator. The only problem with his wife Alba, is that she hasn't come to church yet, and is really struggling leaving her other church. She really doesn't like it very much, and knows what we are preaching is true, but she has friends in the other church and doesn't want to offend them or make them mad. Its a struggle, but this week we're going to do everything we can to commit them to a baptismal date so she can be baptized with her husband.

With respect to the elections, everything went pretty smoothly, and we were only in lockdown on Sunday. It kinda stunk because there weren't any church meetings that day because of the country-wide lockdown and danger warnings. But really it didn't seem like there was much going on around here, just a little bit of ruckus. Sunday was quite the long day haha because we were trying to obey the Sabbath while being locked in the house, but we found sufficient things to do I would say. I'll just say I got a bit bored, and am really excited for these lockdowns to end so that we can work continuously.

Elder Diaz and I are becoming great friends now and he is a really great companion. We are teaching more with the Spirit and learning a lot from each other. He is a great guy who is obsessed with soccer, and rice haha. In panama they eat TONS of rice. He is teaching me how to cook it haha and the few times we eat in the house, we eat about a pound of rice each! MMM! Dallin you should enjoy that bit.

Well, that's about all I've got for you guys this week. I'm glad you all had a happy Thanksgiving and just know that everything is going well with me. I love you all and miss you all.

Vaya Pues!
Elder Tyler Tinkham