Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, November 16, 2009

A Bad Week

Hello once again to all of my family and friends, I hope you are all doing well and I give you a salute from Honduras.

This week really was not a very good one. I don't really know where to start but, I'll just say that once again Josè and Maria weren't baptized. We still just can't get them married. It's a very complicated situation and very frustrating and very discouraging. I won't make any promises anymore about baptisms, but at least they still have a strong desire to get married and be baptized, the fact is it's just all our fault because it's so difficult to marry here. But I have learned a lot about accepting the Lord's will, and patience. Frankly a lot of crappy things happened this week, but that is the life of a missionary. What I really need to do is get back on my feet tonight, and start anew this week with the happiness and vigor that I really need.

A couple of good things that happened this week is that we had another Zone Conference, my third in the mission. I learned a lot from President and Hermana Flores about obedience and how important it really is. One thing I remember from the conference with Elder Falabella is that he told us, Elders, if you don't bring any investigators to Church, you don't really have a reason to be attending the meeting do you? And also, one other thing, you should never miss a Sacrament Meeting, haha I love that. President Flores expounded on some other things he said, and we learned a lot about obedience and doing new things. To apply his teachings we are starting to plan an activity called the mini MTC that we will be putting on for all of the members, in order to train them on how to be a missionary! I hope it will go well, we will be having it somewhere later in in November.

I also had another interchange with the other Elders in my District on Tuesday, and once again I went with Elder Pellecer, but this time he came to my area. We had a good time and had fun exploring each others forms of contacting. In the morning we played a game while we were contacting where he would give me a word, and I had to say it while we were contacting. He gave me one, verde, and when we went up to this one house, they were not interested. But I just decided to say, "Y sabe usted si hay alguna familia aqui cerca? En una casa verde posible?" Do you know anyone close that possibly lives in a green house? And they said "Well actually yes! Our neighbors over there in that green house would love to hear the message I think!" We went over there and ended up teaching! It was pretty fun. But we had to end the interchanges early because my comp got sick and the other companionship didn't leave the house, haha poor boy.

Oh, another great thing is that we found another golden investigator, Hector. We have been over there about 3 times, and he has already come to church twice, and has a testimony! Its a little bit harder to get his wife to come to church, but we are really working on it! They will hopefully be getting married soon and then we will invite them to get baptized. The wife of Hector has recounted a story to us that really struck my attention. One day in the hospital her daughter was very sick, and near death. All of a sudden 3 boys "dressed like you boys are" came over and said that they wanted to give her daughter a blessing. They did so and left, and her daughter later on was fully healed. She told us this story and said that she never found out what religion they belonged to or anything about them. Now I don't know if it was really Mormon missionaries or anything, but I testified to her that with this Priesthood power that we hold as missionaries and members of the church we can perform the same miracles. I really hope that she will be as awesome as Hector is.

Other than that, most of the week has been battles with lawyers, running back and forth to the municipalidad, and teaching regular lessons. Just to let you all know I might not be getting on the internet this next week. It's just a rumor but because the elections are coming up here, its going to start getting ugly around here. So don't worry about me but I'll write you when I can! I love you all and miss you all.

Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham