Hello and a Buenos Dias to all of my family and friends who will be reading this week. It has been a busy week, but I always forget what to say in these emails, but I´ll do my best!
I am now used to my new companion Elder Diaz. I guess it just takes awhile every time to adjust to every new companion, but now we are really good friends. He is a really great missionary, and I'm learning a whole lot of things from him. We have been working like Santa Claus on Christmas Eve this week, and frankly I am exhausted. But there isn't a better feeling than that, and I feel like I had success this week.
First off, ugh, once again José and Maria were not baptized this week. We got ALL of their papers ready and had everything ready to give to the lawyer, but he couldn't do the ceremony until the next week, so we are having the marriage THIS FRIDAY and the baptism THIS SATURDAY! This time it is for sure, 100% that they will be baptized and confirmed this upcoming week. When we had to go over to their house and tell them that we had to wait another week, I couldn't do it haha. I told Elder Diaz to tell them, because he hasn't been working with them for 3 months like I have, and I didn't have the heart to tell them that they had to wait again.
Another bad note, the son of Noé was killed this last Monday evening. It was really sad to hear that. He doesn't really see him that much because he lived with his wife whom which they separated about 1 year ago, but it was still really difficult for him. We went over to his house and delivered a powerful message to him. I testified that one day he would see his son again if he remained faithful in the gospel and did all that he could to obey the commandments. We shared a tearful hug and left for the night. Now, he is really doing better, and things are okay now.
Other than that, I thought a lot this week about how really crappy the mission is material wise, but its also really funny to think about. This week, a member came over to fumigate our house for free, and closed our bathroom door, of which we don't have a key...crap. Well we have another bathroom that really doesn't work well, with no toilet seat, and no shampoo or soap...I wont say anymore because I don't want any of you to feel bad or anything, but its just fun to think about how separated we really are from the world here, and how the work of the Lord is all we think about. Consequently, the bathroom is still locked haha, we have not had any time to worry about that.
We found about 10 new investigators this week, including 2 new families, and according to how they progress this upcoming week, I´ll include some updates with them as well. But as for Sunday, we had 9 investigators come to church! Including the Familia Ramos (the sister of Noé and her husband, whom we received references). Familia Ramos is a little bit confusing, but I still have a lot of hope for them. The mom (Ismari) and 2 of the sons (Carlos 14 and Octavio 7) really like us and always want to hear more from us, but what is difficult is the dad Everisto and the oldest son Josúe 17. Everisto doesn't know how to read, and doesn't have much interest, and Josúe being a teenager of that age just doesn't really care that much. But we are doing our best to get the WHOLE family excited.
Well, that's about all I have for you guys this week. I can't think of much else to say just that I have been working my butt off this week. Oh, and this week I ate armadillo, and it was really good! It tastes like a mixture of chicken or fish. Its good sometimes to separate oneself from the usual diet of eggs, cheese, tortillas, rice, and beans, and nothing else haha. I'm now to the point were I crave tortillas and beans! The only thing I really have trouble with eating here is the plantains. I'm just not a big fan of bananas and man they cook them in every form you can think of, and the butter. The butter they have here...no. It's really bitter and I'm not a big fan. But yeah, there is a little bit of random news for you. I hope that everyone is doing well, I pray for you, and love you all very much and miss you!
Vaya Pues,
Elder Tinkham
Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011