Hello Once again Amigos, Amigas, y Familia. Another week has flown by and I have a lot to talk about in a little bit of time.
This week I did A LOT of traveling. On Wednesday, we had a Trainer Evaluation and New Missionary gathering in Tegucigalpa, about 2 hours away from Comayagua. We made the trip down there, and I got to see all of my gringo buddies from the MTC all together again, probably for the last time in the mission. It was a really great opportunity where we got awesome food in the house of President Flores, and received great instruction from him and the AP´s. That night, we slept over in Tegucigalpa in an area called Toncontin. It is the largest zone in our mission, and just a little secret, that is where the Honduras temple is going to be (shhhh....yes in my mission!). We slept over because the following morning my companion had a meeting for all of the Zone Leaders and District Leaders in all of the mission.
But that night, I went on splits with one of the Zone Leaders in Toncontin, Elder Mautama from New Zealand. He has been here for about 21 months and he is incredibly awesome. I learned a lot from him and he told me that my Spanish is great for 1 month. Then again, tons of people tell me that, but I don´t know why cause its terrible haha! Anyways, he told me that he foresees me as a trainer in just 5 months! Yikes! But the work in the city is a whole lot different than out here in the pueblos, but I still enjoyed it.
The next day we spent most of our time in that Leadership Meeting. It was slightly boring for me at some points, but we did have 85 baptisms in August in the mission! The greatest thing I learned during those 2 days is that at first I was scared to go off to a pueblo, but now I´m glad i am here! The city is just pack jammed with people, crazy traffic everywhere, and just plain loud and crazy. I think I need a little bit of time before I get thrown into that eh?
Other than my many travels, this week has been amazing with our investigators. After many weeks of hard work and obedience without any results, this week came with a bang. My first baptism is scheduled for this upcoming Sunday in the morning. I´m so excited that my first baptism is for a family! Edwin and Fransisca are such humble people with a happy personality and great hearts! The church is very new to them, and everything we teach and commit them to do they accept with open hearts and minds. They are totally ready to accept baptism and move forward in the Lord´s true Church.
Another great surprise is that our other long time investigators Joel and Jenny, who have been having lots of troubles, surprisingly are doing amazing. One night we went over there, taught them about having a loving relationship again...cause they just plain don´t like each other. But this time...it was different...they were happy! At the end of the lesson they committed to be married, and baptized the next week! It was absolutely incredible, and I look forward to continuing the work with them.
For P-day today, we had lots of fun! We took a bus ride about an hour away and journeyed into the caves of Taulabe. It was totally Awesome, and we got a bunch of pictures. After that we journeyed to a nearby really large lake which I forgot the name of. The Latinos really really enjoyed that cause they said they hardly ever see this. We bought some fish to eat, and we ate the entire fish! It was like one of those classic cartoons when you see them eat the whole fish head and all. I actually enjoyed eating all of it!
My pictures this week are a few from p-day today and the lovely adventures we went on! Enjoy! I love you all and miss you all very much!
Love,
Elder Tinkham
Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011