Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, September 21, 2009

Week of Work

Hello once again to all my friends and family, I hope this gets to you. Honduras is having a lot of problems (I don’t know what) and they always turn off all the power now a days, so who knows if this gets terminated or not.

This week has been pretty normal for me, just a lot of work and a lot of rain. The biggest news is that I had my 2nd baptism this week, the 9 year old daughter of a family that we worked hard to activate. It was a good experience for me.

The other news is that I have finished my first transfers, and my companion Elder Cobo and I are sticking put. I am very glad because we still have a lot of work to do! Almost my whole zone is different because many got changed other than me. But oh well that’s the mission for you!

We are still working hard with Edwin, I really think that we improved his testimony this week because we taught some amazing lessons (Atonement, blessings of the temple and eternal families, the Book of Mormon, etc.) But we are really nervous for the interview he has with President Flores on Thursday, it’s all up to that now.

We are running out of solid investigators this week, because we had to drop Joel and Jenny, it was really sad. They have been having some HUGE fights lately and just can’t get along. Frankly they just don’t even like each other, but they stay together to provide for the kids. It’s a lot different in the states haha. But there is still a glimpse of hope. We have begun teaching Jenny’s sister, Ondina, the lessons and sometimes Jenny is present in the lessons. Maybe one day something good will come out of that.

But, our greatest joy at the moment is Noè. I can’t believe how great of a guy he is. He has been to church practically more times than I have, and always wants to keep all the commitments! He is scheduled to be baptized this next Saturday, and it should be amazing. Our only worry is that he only stopped smoking and drinking about a month ago, and sometimes is tempted, so we are going to go over that really hard this week, and make sure he is ready! But other than that I cannot wait for him to receive the priesthood and advance in the church, because we really need him! Maybe he can be our Ward Mission Leader cause we don’t have one haha!

Other than that, it has been incredibly hot during the day, and raining every night. Its getting closer to the rainy season so it should start getting worse. As far as I know, Honduras is having a bit of problems, but its not affecting me one bit so don’t worry about that. we just have days were we don’t have power and can’t cook or receive air from the fan, poop...or ...que chasta...as they say here.

My Spanish is really improving I would say. Sometimes I still struggle to understand, but what I’m really enjoying is that I can talk to my investigators now in conversation. Because I was really personable in the states, that was really frustrating for me at first, but now I can!

Well everyone I better get going because I think the power is going off soon, I love you all and miss you all!

Love,
Elder Tinkham