Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16

Hello once again to all of my family and friends out there! If I am not mistaken this will be my 100th or 101st weekly report, for all of you that have taken the time to read everything I have said for these 100 letters. Don’t you have anything better to do with your time? Haha I’m kidding. But really, I hope that at least in 1 of these letters I have said something important that might help with some aspect of your lives. If not, I have failed indeed.

Last Monday it was my companion’s birthday, and the branch president invited us over to his house to eat a bunch of grilled meat with a special hot sauce that he makes. It was delicious! I can still taste those spicy pork chops! They had to roll Elder Hernandez and I out of there with a wheelchair haha. We had a lovely chat with the president and his wife.

This week Elder Hernandez and I held a zone meeting with all the missionaries so that we could transmit all of the information that we received in the leadership council the other week. We felt the task very difficult, because we wanted everyone else to feel how we had felt in the meeting (the Spirit was super strong). We were a little bit worried, but I think that the Spirit helped us to be able to share the lessons that we had received. We shared a theme called “From Doubt to Belief” and talked about faith. We explained to the missionaries what the difference was between a faithful servant, a normal or “useless” servant, and a bad servant that the Lord explains in Luke 17. It explains that, we as missionaries have duties, and if we get to the point where we are doing just what we are asked to do, we are normal or useless servants. If we do less than what we are asked to do, we are bad servants. But, if we accomplish what is asked of us and more, we become faithful and beloved servants of the Lord. I strive to become that type of servant.

That same day I was able to have lovely interchanges with my friend Elder Thompson, my ex assistant and current district leader. We had a great time in Guaimaca and worked really hard, and found 7 new investigators together. I sure love that guy, and he is a great missionary as well.

Lately my companion and I have been having difficulty finding complete families. We have found several people to teach and are increasing our teaching pool every day, but the problem is finding the married couples that want to listen. The trend these days is that the wives are super positive and always want to listen to what we have to say, but the second we try to talk to her husband....FOOM he goes flying out the door haha. It’s been a little bit frustrating, but also it’s increased my gratefulness for the gospel and the doctrine of eternal families. I know that we can be together with our families for all of eternity, so long as we keep His commandments and repent of our sins. My goal is to never stop preaching about the gift of eternal families, because I know that that is what we MUST have in order to really be happy in this life. It brings me sadness to hear the words...Until death do they part, because I know that death is not the end of all things. Christ was resurrected so that all of us could be resurrected as well, and be together with our families!

I love you all, thanks for all of your support and for reading these blabber fests!

Elder Tinkham

La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias

Quisiera escribir en español, es màs facil jaja!