Hello to one and all of my family and friends back home in the land of the free and the home of the brave. I'm pretty sure that not a lot of you know, but the U.S. beat Honduras in futbol the other day, woohoo! It was fun to rub it in their faces here!
Anywho haha, this week has been pretty normal in terms of work. Last Tuesday, we had exchanges with the Zone Leaders, and I took a bus to the nearby area called La Paz to teach with Elder Euteneir, the gringo zone leader that is very very smart with Spanish. I got the chance to work in another area for a day which was fun, and I also learned a lot from Elder ¨Yoot-niyer.¨ I slept in La Paz that night and went back to Comayagua the next morning. All in all I liked my experience but I was glad to get back to my own area.
We also had interviews with President Flores this week on Friday I think it was. We didn't get to work at all that day because in the morning we had to go out and do some business for the mission secretaries (which I never hope to be) because one of them crashed one of the 3 mission cars that we have, so we had to go to the police station and take care of some of that business. Let me tell you, its much more fun to be a missionary here. When we are out doing normal things, its really boring and really stressful. I much enjoy being a missionary not hardly having to worry about anything, and just walking around preaching the gospel. Its really a great way to get away from life´s stresses. I now understand why you old folks say you would love to get back out here on a mission just for that! Cause I hate it when I'm doing real world business!
Other than that nothing new happened in way of the out of the ordinary. Our main investigators are still Josè and Maria. We are still working on getting all of the paperwork ready for the wedding so we can get them baptized. We are a little nervous about the baptismal interview with Josè, cause lets just say he has had a pretty crazy life. We are going to have President Flores interview him next week because its Stake Conference here. So we will see how it goes, if all goes well, I should have at least 3 baptisms for the 24th of October.
This last Sunday was fast Sunday, and lets just say Elder Cobo and I did not like it very much at all. First of all, I'm very surprised that they even let us fast here, because about afternoon time we are practically walking corpses and literally vultures follow us lol, not kidding about that. But anyways, at church, we started off singing a hymn that not a single person knew. After that we had no microphone for the pulpit, and there were a lot of what we call ¨Pharisee testimonies¨ that day. All in all it was not a very good experience, and then something happened. Our recent convert Noè stood up and bore his testimony of the Book of Mormon, a sincere true testimony and he also expressed his gratitude to us for introducing him to the restored gospel. I about broke down and cried right then and there, but I felt the spirit so strong and just the satisfaction that some dumb teenager like me could really inflict those feelings upon another person. That just goes to show you how large of an effect the Spirit really has on missionaries. Without it, I really doubt that anyone would ever be converted. Because seriously, I am really dumb, especially in Spanish, but I certainly have a testimony of the spirit.
Well that is all I have for you folks this week. I hope everything is going well for all of you and I pray for each and every one of you. Thank you so much for supporting me out here. Vaya Pues!
With Love,
Elder Tinkham
Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011