Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, February 7, 2011

February 7th

Hola to all of my family and friends out there! A big Yee Haw to all of you as well! It’s great to be back in the pueblos again, to wipe the dirt of my brow and chill around with my sombrero. I got a lot to explain for this week so let’s get started!

First off....interesting news...so I kind of lied to you all about what my area was going to be. The Assistants confused me on what my area was going to be. I’m still in the pueblos and everything like that, and in charge of the same zone, it’s just that a little bit ago the zone leaders changed from one area to another, and I didn’t know that haha. So my area is really called Guaimaca. Let me give you a small rundown on how Guaimaca is...I just love it. It’s a really small town (If you remember, awhile ago when I was in Juticalpa, I mentioned that it was like the Wyoming of Honduras, well Guaimaca is probably a bunk town of Montana!). It’s blazing hot, just like all of my other areas haha, and the people here are really friendly! Here in Guaimaca, the whole city gets around in bike, and we just say hi to them by yelling out OY!!!! It’s the custom, totally awesome.

But yeah there is definitely nothing modern here at all, no ATM, no fast food, malls, paved roads (haha) or anything like that. After noticing all of that, I thought...man this is my type of place! I could get used to this!

My companion, Elder Torres, is a pretty crazy guy. He is from an island city in Guatemala called Cobàn. He is from Elder Hansack’s group, the one where I became a trainer...does that make me feel old or what? He is a really obedient guy, and gets a lot of work done, he’s just a little bit spastic and has about 100 things going on in his head all the time. But we make a good companionship, and we’re great friends already! The zone here is totally different, because all of the areas in my zone are in different cities that take quite awhile to get to by bus, so I’m gonna be spending a lot more time travelling than I used to! But that’s alright.

We have TONS of investigators. I think more than I have ever had in my mission so far. This week has been one so full of work that I am exhausted beyond belief! The members here are some of the most humble, nice, hardworking people I have ever met. We have been working super close with them, and have received a ton of super positive referrals. This area isn’t what it used to be before, it used to be super difficult and dead, but the leadership has changed. We have a great branch president who used to be completely inactive, but has had a great change in his life and now is a work horse! With the help of these animated leaders, we’re going to make Guaimaca what it has never been before! There are so many investigators that we have right now, that it will be hard to decide who to tell you about, and so I’ll save that for the next time, but just know that it’s going great! On Friday, we had to head over to Tegucigalpa again to go to Zone Leader Council. It was a really great council where we learned tons of things. President talked about the importance of using the Book of Mormon, the necessity of making P days spiritual, unity, and he especially talked about urgency. He explained to us that we need to up our sense of urgency, because there are a lot of us that have just a short amount of time left to work. The message really hit me, and I definitely felt the spirit. The only thing that I could think was, “Let’s get this going President, because we have to get back to work in our area!” He talked about Jacob 5 (one of my favorite chapters) in the verses 61-64, where the Lord of the vine talks about how this is the last time that they are going to work in the vine (I think that’s the translation). We related that to how this is the last dispensation, this is the last time that we, as the Lords servants, will work in the vine. I thought, if this is the last time that we are going to work in bringing souls unto the Lord, that I need to work 10 times as hard in order to bring as many souls unto Christ.

I love this work. I know that it’s true. Jesus is our Savior, and Joseph was his prophet. The Book of Mormon is true. I never tire in saying it, my testimony exists within me like an increasing fire. I love all of you, and hope that you take care this week.

Vaya Pues!

Elder Tinkham