Hello once again to all of my family and friends out there on this “cold winters night” as you guys would say it! How are you all doing? I hope that everything is going well for each and every one of you. The Christmas season has officially begun, and even here in little ole Honduras you can feel the spirit spreading. No matter where you are, you just can’t avoid the feelings of jubilee that embrace the soul of every Christmas lover’s soul.
This week has been a learning one for me. Well, every week is a learning one, but this one has been a little bit more than the other weeks. It’s been a week of patience, enduring to the end, etc. Let me tell you why.
It’s been another slightly disappointing week for Elder Ortiz and I with respect to investigators. We got a little bit discouraged because we have been looking thoroughly to find new people during the time that we have to go contacting, and we haven’t had too much luck this week. We did all we could in order to find the people who were waiting for us, but most of the time we got the United States treatment...door slammed in your face. But... I do at least have one good story to tell you. On Sunday, we started up on our last attempt for the week to find some new investigators, and something very interesting happened. We had just left the house of some recent converts, and decided to contact the street of where they lived...well...I suggested to my companion that we do it. He told me...sigh...alright, let’s go....but I really hope that we can find somebody cause I’m losing my patience....put a prayer in your heart! Haha, so in that moment that he asked me that, about 5 seconds later someone was whistling to us to come over to them. Well...usually that means that some drunk guy just wants to talk to us, but it actually turned out to be an answer to our prayers. It turned out that the guy that was talking to us is a member that lived in a far away pueblo but had transferred to the city and lived in our area. He asked us where the church is, and presented us to his friends that lived right next door to them. We were able to have a great lesson about the Plan of Salvation, and set a date to come back on Tuesday. We were very grateful to have had our prayer answered by Heavenly Father.
This Sunday we had the Primary program in my assigned ward, and it was just hilarious! They had several songs which are just the funniest part, and they even had a part where they did some short dramas in the front part of the Sacrament Meeting. It reminded me of a very embarrassing moment that I had in a Primary program when I was about 9 years old. In that program I was dressed up as Wilford Woodruff, 4th prophet of the Church. I had a fairly long part to memorize, so I was a little bit nervous. I remember in the dress rehearsal, when I said my lines, I said, “My name is Woodrow Wilson!!” Everyone had a good laugh. We had been studying the presidents of the United States in my elementary class, so I got the names confused. The good thing is that I got my act together for the actual program and said my name right...whew!
For Thanksgiving this year, us 4 missionaries in the house decided to have a small celebration when we got home at night. We ordered KFC and timed it so that the delivery guy would get there right when we got home. Earlier in the day we made a flan cake with a homemade cookie crust and had it refrigerated just in time to eat at night. It was a delicious Thanksgiving “mock dinner” that we were very proud of. Sure it’s nothing like what most of you were able to eat, but it was a great moment for us!
Today for our P-day we went as a zone to the construction site of the Honduras Temple. They are actually doing pretty good on the progress! There are a couple of walls already built and it’s starting to get taller. I’m very jealous of the new missionaries coming in right now, because they will be able to see the completed temple. But at least we got to see exactly where it’s going to be at, and take some nice pictures. One day I am going to return to visit the temple here, especially because some of my converts are going to be able to go to the temple soon, and I want to be there when they enter, that would be a dream come true. Speaking of some of my converts, a couple of weeks ago I got a letter from Hno. Jose from Comayagua, one of my favorite converts. If you remember, he was the one that took us about 4 months to baptize due to the incredible challenges we had to get him and his wife married. He wrote me and told me that he is the Ward Missionary Leader and always accompanies the missionaries and is preaching the gospel to everyone possible. I shouted with joy!
I love you all. I know that this gospel is true and that I am doing a good work, and cannot be taken down. I wish all of you a lovely week, and I will keep you in my prayers.
Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham