Hello once again to all of my family and friends out there! Yet another week has flown by, and might I add yet another beautiful edition of General Conference. GC is basically the Christmas for missionaries, and seems to be the best holiday in existence. More on that will come later.
So, as you all might have heard, I've received a promotion. I am now the Zone Leader of Zone Comayaguela, and my area has the same name. Let's just say it's been a crazy hectic experience for me. It's all quite new. I am carrying a cell phone in my pocket right now, which I haven't done since I left mine on our wooden dinner table 16 months ago. Our house is actually pretty cool and it's very large. We live 4 in the house (my first time living double) and I live with my good MTC buddy Elder Tingey! He is my district leader and does a great job.
If I thought my other area was city, I was just kidding myself. This time what I say is complete truth, I am in the depths of the capital city of Honduras now, and it's super different for me. My area is actually quite dangerous, and I'm pretty sure that's why the zone leaders are there because the gringos can speak fluent Spanish by now. But I'm not worried, most of the "sketchy" people seem to know who we are and we always say hi to them. I also have hot water in my house for the first time in the mission, what an incredible luxury! I think I have died and gone to heaven!
For those of you worry warts, I'll give you a quick update on my health. Well...my suspicions proved right this week, I had a parasite! I decided to name it Terry, and Terry lived with me for a little over a week. Let's just say, it was not a fun experience and I don't recommend it haha. The mission doctors gave me the murderous pills and I finished them off the other day (Nodik- I figured you'd be interested dad!), and now I feel fine. It didn't affect my work that much except for my last days in Pedregal. I felt horrible and did not enjoy packing all of my things haha, but it's all over now and Terry has now died. It was a memorable week for that.
Here in Comayaguela.....we basically have no investigators. I felt pretty bad when I got to the area cause I thought it was going to be loaded with awesome investigators, but I figured it was too good to be true since it has never happened to me before anyways. Let's just say that the missionary that I replaced finished his mission, and he had one foot in his house already, so I have been sent to start from ground zero. This week we started out by visiting a ton of members in the ward. We presented ourselves and offered our service, and began to train them so that we will be able to work together. The awesome thing is that there are a TON of members hungry to work with us and most of them, when we got there, said something like this... "Elders! Where the heck have you been? Why haven't you come over to ask us if we will help you out? We've been waiting forever!" I was completely shocked by these responses, and I don't know why they haven't been utilizing the members, but that is now going to change.
On Friday I had my first Leadership Council meeting with all of the other Zone Leaders, and boy did I feel as inferior as Courage the Cowardly Dog. We talked a lot about our goals for the month of October and what we wish to accomplish in our zones. I didn't participate too much since I had been there only 2 days, but I did mention our plans of how were going to carry out our goals. The best part about the whole thing is the lunch that Hna. Flores made us afterwards.....oh sweet mercy I can still taste it now......a giant, cheesy, scrumptious piece of lasagna!!! I think I could get used to that!
For General Conference, I was particularly impressed by the Priesthood Session, that was one of my favorite sessions. I took to heart what Elder Eyring said in the last session, and picked something from EVERY talk that I can apply in my own life, and change for the better. I received an incredible witness that President Monson is the voice of God on the earth today. I truly know that he is a prophet of God, and sustain him with my right hand raised high. The words of the prophets are more important than scripture, and the words of the current prophet are more important than those of the dead ones. I absolutely loved how I felt listening to the talks, and wish that feeling would never go away.
This change is going to be one of a lot of prayer and fasting for me. If the Lord trusts me enough with my new position, I must put all of my heart, might, mind and soul into what I do. I know that this gospel is true, and that Jesus Christ is my Savior. Joseph Smith was a prophet, and saw God and His Beloved Son. This is the true church on the earth today, and I will never tire in saying these things. I love you all, and wish you all a happy week.
Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham