Hello once again to all of my family and friends out there. I hope you are all doing well and have had a great week. This week it has been raining a whole lot (since it's rainy season, haha) and so my clothing is a little bit soggy, but what can you do! This week has been one of several surprises for me, so it's going to take a couple of minutes to explain all of the surprises.
First of all, the transfers were this week, and Elder Maldonado has been shipped out. I received Elder Menendez....if you remember from the past emails, Elder Menendez was the new Elder that was in my district the last transfer who was my "companion" for one week during the leadership conference. Well yeah, all he had to do was cross the street in order to arrive at his new area! It was the most surprising transfer session that I think has ever happened. At first, I was wondering if we were going to be able to work well together, but now I'm very happy to know he is my companion. He only has 2 months in the mission and still has a lot to learn, but I really enjoy that he is my companion. We have a lot of fun together and he is a missionary who is dedicated to learn and teach.
Second of all, I have been called to be the District Leader of the newly constructed district that we are now in. The zone was once again changed and we have switched zones. I am now the District Leader of district Roble Oeste. Roble Oeste is the area where they are building the Honduras Temple. So every time that I decide to do interchanges with the other Elders, I'll get a nice view of how the construction is going! Its going to be a very humbling experience for me to be able to serve in this position. I'm excited to get to work.
Thirdly, we had a surprise baptism this week! Her name is Guillermina Flores, she is the mom of the family that we pay so that they fix us lunch every day. She lives about 2 hours away in an area called Choluteca that is part of mission Tegucigalpa. She has been coming to church with the Garcia Family for about 3 years, but was never baptized. The family told us that the Elders "just haven't been able to throw her in the water." I was thinking about that, and so the day that she arrived once again, I decided to go in for the kill, what did I have to lose? I told her.."Hermana, we've been thinking a lot lately and we've decided to have your baptism tomorrow, we're planning the service as we speak, you're going to get baptized, right?" To my extreme surprise, she said yes! So... I hurried and called the Zone Leaders and told them that we needed an interview for that same day. The next day she was baptized, and it was a very special service. The spirit was there, and when I asked the daughter of the hermana if she could bear her testimony, there weren't very many dry eyes in the room. I let Elder Menendez perform the baptism, his first in the mission. It was a great experience for all of us at the meeting.
We are getting closer and closer to the marriage and baptism of Ingrid and Leonardo. Everything is still going amazing with them, and if a miracle happens, we'll be able to get the work done. We don't have hardly any of the marriage papers yet but I'm thinking it will happen still. I don't know what else to say about them....great people!
Marlon and Vanessa...well Marlon is doing great and working towards receiving his priesthood rights once again. But Vanessa, well we still haven't found a way that she will be able to come to church yet. She is a little bit of a .....how could I say this delicately....blonde. It's a little bit difficult to teach her, but we still have hope that things will work out with her because she has a good husband that has true hope that she can be baptized and they can start working towards a temple marriage.
The weakest point in our work that we have right now is finding new people to teach. We haven't had much time to contact this week, and that time that we have used hasn't worked out too well for us. That's what we really need to work on this next coming week, because if we don't have new people to teach...we're going to have some problems in September, haha.
That's about all I have for you guys this week...my time has run out to write, but I hope you're all doing well! I love you all and be safe!
Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham