Hello once again to all of my family and friends out there. I hope everything is going masizo with you guys. I am still accustoming myself a little bit to the big city, because right now I am writing you from a large metromall in a large cybercafe.....weird!
Due to the large amount of people that have asked me for pictures this week, I'm sad to say that I have forgotten to bring my camera today, but next week I commit to send a bunch of photos! I haven't really even taken a single picture of Pedregal yet, so I'll have to work on that one too! But anyways, I'm sorry.
Like I said last week, President Flores seems to have a tendency to send me to areas that are deemed "dead" when I arrive, so right now I'm working on resurrecting the area. We have very few investigators at the moment.... well scratch that. We have plenty of investigators, there is just a large problem...we can never find them. Every time we try to meet up with our investigators, they are almost never home. It's a little bit disappointing, but what can you do. Elder Maldonado and I decided that if the people were really committed to listen to our message, they would make time for us to meet with them. We are always going to try and find them, but we decided to dedicate more time this week to find new people to teach. I think it will help us out a little more. Pedregal is very small, and only divided into 3 different neighborhoods, Izquierda, Derecha, and Las Faldas. Translation being: Right, Left, and The Dresses of Pedregal haha. The contacting comes difficultly since it's small, and a large part of it is through referrals of the members, so we're doing what we can and being creative looking how we're going to find new people to teach.
Last Tuesday I had interchanges with my district leader Elder Ramirez, and we stayed put in my area of the Pedregal. I had a really good time with him and he is a good friend of mine. He is one of the few rock music likers out of the Latins I've met, so our personalities match up pretty good! It's too bad he's not my companion haha....but we had a good time on Tuesday. At the end of the night, the appointment that we were going to go to fell through, and while we were looking for a couple of contacts, we were approached by a drunk guy. Now just to clarify, that's not a rare occurrence around here, about twice a day we have the lovely opportunity to talk to drunks on the street. Here in Central America it seems like the drunk people are more religious than the normal people since they talk to us more :) Well anyways, we started talking to him for a second, and felt like we should keep talking for some reason. He was with his wife, and we ended up asking if they could show us their house. We went to their house and gave them a small message. This family has an incredible amount of problems, their kids are involved in drugs and gangs, the husband has been an alcoholic for about 20 years, and the wife almost can't take it anymore. We told them that we have the answers for them, and if they were willing to commit themselves to do the things we tell them, they will be blessed. We left with a strong desire to help them out. We were only able to see them once more this week, and that was yesterday. The appointment that we had with them fell through because they were in the hospital. Their oldest son had been shot in the jaw area, and miraculously was almost unharmed. We found them in the house yesterday and were able to give them a lot of council. I hope that this week we can help them out to progress even more.
Other than that, this week we had an activity on Saturday where we passed out warning flyers for dengue together with pamphlets of the Word of Wisdom, in order to get a couple of contacts here and there. It was actually semi-successful, so we're going to keep working on that this week as well.
The majority of the people that we are working with in Pedregal are part member families whom one of the spouses are inactive, and the other one is not a member. We are working on the wedding of 2 of these pairs, and hopefully they will be ready to be baptized soon as well!
I hope that everything is going well at home, please be careful and enjoy the "cold" weather that's going on over there. Love you all!
Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham