Exactly one year ago, I was probably in the act of washing clothes or writing my first email as a missionary. Incredible how the time flies, I can still remember like it was yesterday, my first moments in the MTC...about 369 days and 20 pounds ago. I would love to read my first email to see how the progress has come along, but oh well! You guys can do it for me right?
Anyways, I have a lot of things to write about this week...so lets get started! Due to my mothers complaints about not responding to her questions, I will start off with that...Sorry mom! I love you!
First of all, I haven't received my package yet, but I'm thinking that it will be getting here this week, so next week I'll be able to send pictures! Second, my companion and I are getting along wonderfully. I think Elder Vasquez is growing to be one of my favorite companions in the mission so far. It's probably a tie between Elder Diaz, my second companion, and Elder Vasquez. Thirdly and lastly, after Sunday night of last week, we didn't receive much of any effect from the tropical storm, it basically only hit those 3 days. In fact we have only received the exact opposite....incredible heat....curse you global warming!
This next part goes out to Megan, I was thinking a lot about you this week and the day of your baptism. This Saturday I had the opportunity to baptize a little girl in the branch since the branch president couldn't be there. She was baptized in a river. It was quite an incredible experience. We had to walk about a mile, up and around a mountain in order to arrive at the beautiful location of the baptism. Elder Vasquez and I had quite the time with this one, because we brought along with us an investigator named Yasmin, and her son Steven who is 3 years old. Now, I speak for the whole Jenkins family in remembrance of countless hikes in Torrey when little children were brought along, and the "small" burden they were to worry about. Elder Vasquez spent the whole time arduously watching Steven, as we had to cross 2 rivers, climb a mountain, and walk through a little bit of mud. We felt a little bit bad inviting Yasmin since we didn't know how nasty of a hike it was going to be, especially in a shirt and tie, but it all turned out great. I have now participated in my first river baptism, and it made me remember a lot of your baptism Megan, and how awesome it was. (Megan was baptized in the Sweetwater River at Martin's Cove, Wyoming) The girl that I baptized is named Marcela, and she has a ton of knowledge of the church, just like you do, and is incredibly smart. It was a really great day for me.
On Wednesday, we had a great meeting with The General Sunday School President Osgurthorpe, and the General Young Men's President Ochoa (who, interestingly enough, was mission president in Honduras! San Pedro Sula). It was really great. It was a combined meeting with mission Tegucigalpa, and amongst all those people, I was chosen to play the piano. Of course you would all be happy about that, and I was a little excited. I got a personal congratulations from the authorities there afterwards, so it was a good experience.
With respect to the great celebration of my one year mark, the day went by pretty normally. For lunchtime to celebrate, Elder Vasquez and I bought about 12 Charamuzcas to eat and celebrate, Charamzcas are basically popsicles in a plastic bag, but they have something else added in them that make them DELICIOUS....and I don't know what it is.
Good news! Marino came to church this week!!!! He really enjoyed the meeting and pretty much is a secure baptism for the 19th of June. More news on that later on.
I would love to explain a family we have been teaching named Yasmin and Cesar, Yasmin the one that came to the baptism, but I ran out of time, so remind me next week and I'll talk about them.
This week Elder Vasquez and I have been focusing a whole lot on activating the branch. The attendance has been dying slowly and sadly last week we dropped down to 29! So we made the goal to double the attendance, and we almost got it! The attendance was 50, so we're slowly making our way up. The problem is, that we don't really know if we are the official counselors of the branch presidency, so tomorrow we are going to ask to talk with President Flores in Zone Conference. If he gives us the go that we are officially the counselors, we are going to start to take more action within the branch.
I hope everything is going well for you guys, and just know that I am doing really great over here. I'm praying for you all.
Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham