Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Monday, February 15, 2010

February 15

Another happy week to all of you family and friends out there, another week has gone by, oh how the time flies right?

This week has been pretty decent I guess, a few fun things that I have to tell you. So on Tuesday night, Elder Hansack and I planned with the Elders Quorum President for him to accompany us that night to our appointments. We told him to meet us at the church, and as we were arriving at the church, we saw a car. Elder Hansack asked me if that was Pres. Vallejo's car (EQP). I told him no, because it looked like the car of President Flores. It turned out that is was his car, and we had an interesting run-in. "President! What are you doing here all the way in Juticalpa?" Oh hey Elders, I was just having a couple of interviews tonight since I'm gonna be here tomorrow (we had interviews the next morning). And now, I would like to come with you for the rest of the night and be present in your lessons! Well, after brushing off the shock, I said that would be great and we headed off. Talk about nerves, about a million different things were going through my head that I needed to do in order to make this work. Luckily things turned out okay and the night actually went pretty well. The only problem was that that night he came to our house to see if it was clean, and since we were gone that whole day Monday we did not have a chance to clean it! Yikes.

But the next morning in interviews, President Flores congratulated me. He said I was doing a good job as a trainer especially since my companion is a little different and has a lot of needs. He also told me that I was doing pretty well here in Juticalpa. I told him that I felt a great weight on my back being a young trainer in a very difficult area, and that it was a grand responsibility. He told me that I was doing a great job and gave me a lot of council, and I really enjoyed the interview. I definitely left a better person.

Besides that, things have been going pretty normal for us. On Thursday we made a short trip to Catacamas to have a joint weekly planning session with the whole zone, and with the Assistants, so they could take a look at our area book and make sure we are filling out all our papers. We also got trained a little bit from the Assistants on things we need to do better with respect to planning. Haha I just typed all that and realized that only the returned missionaries are going to know what I'm talking about right here, sorry everyone.

Yesterday on Sunday we had a really good turnout of investigators at church. All of the Ruiz Matamoros Family showed up along with Denia and Sharon! It was a great day of success. We have also been working really hard to help arrange the marriage of the Ruiz family, and the date should be the 5th of March, with the baptism being the 6th! The only problem is that changes are the 3rd... so I might get hung out to dry again with a family baptism haha, but oh well, they are not my baptisms, but the Lords. Denia told us that she did not want to be baptized so quickly because she has only been going to church for 3 weeks and feels like she is rushing into it, but I'm not too worried because she always comes to all of the activities, church every Sunday, and is reading the Book of Mormon. I'm confident that one day the Spirit will touch her heart and we will see a baptism coming up soon. Possibly this Saturday, because she told us she'd get back to us soon on her answer. Other than that, "All is well in Zion," haha.

I hope you're all doing well, especially Grandma Jenkins (she was in the hospital for 3 days last week), give her special hugs from me at this time, and just know I'm praying for all of you.

Love you and be safe!

Vaya Pues!
Elder Tinkham