Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Letter dated 8-3-09

Dear Family,

Well, today is the day! I am leaving for the airport tonight at 8:30. Things are getting a little bit stressful trying to figure out how to pack all of this stuff and make it work, but I'll be alright. If worse comes to worst, I will throw away a few things of low priority.

All I can say is, I am excited. I am scared going through the airport, but I'll be fine. By the time you get this letter I'll have already talked to you at the airport. So some of this might be old news.

I had fantastic experiences this last Sunday where I just feel ready to get out there in Honduras. My Spanish is definitely not good enough. I'm pretty sure they will be able to understand me, but I doubt I'll understand anyone. That's where my companion comes in haha. I have had a wonderful time here in the MTC. My district was closer than any other district than my zone has ever seen. It's rare that all of us are going to the same mission because that normally doesn't happen for some reason. It looks like Honduras's last few batches of missionaries have been 1 - 4 people at a time. This will be the biggest rush that they've seen in awhile, and Honduras doesn't know what's about to hit them.

This Fast Sunday I finally got to the point where I am ready for anything Honduras has to offer me. After my fast, I know that none of this is about me. I heard that sometimes in some areas they are so poor that they don't get water for awhile so they go days without showering, or shower in a muddy river, and I don't care! This is about the people of Honduras, and the Lord has helped me realize that.

I have no idea how the mail situation is going to work out down there. I just don't know how reliable it's going to be to get mail, but we will find out! Who knows if I even get to email, but I probably will. As soon as I have P-Day in Honduras you will find out how to get in contact with me. I will let you know as soon as I can. But just know that I am safe, all is well, and I'm not a nervous wreck, everything is going great! I love and miss you all!

Love, Elder Tinkham