Well everyone, I have been in the MTC now for a little over 2 weeks, and this week has been quite a ride. I have a lot to talk about! Starting with Tuesday, the day after I last wrote. Tuesday's are the days when the MTC has devotionals for every missionary living here. My companion Elder Cardon and I decided to sing in the choir that performs on every devotional. During that devotional, we were on camera a lot. It even focused on Elder Cardon right up on his face so we were spotlighted! It's probably because of his flaming red hair.Oh yeah and I forgot to mention...the speaker was Elder David A. Bednar!! One of my favorite apostles. He spoke about how to tell the difference whether your thought is just you, or if it is the Spirit talking to you. His answer was...don't worry about it! I really enjoyed his talk. He gave a story about "The 20 Mark Note" or something like that. Look it up on LDS.org! It is amazing.
The next thing I wanted to say was...the swine flu actually is a pretty big problem here in the MTC. At least 4 people on my floor have been quarantined because they tested positive for the flu. In my room, Elder Sinclair tested positive for the flu and has been quarantined since Wednesday! I think they should let him out today...but since then Elder Cardon and I have been in a threesome companionship with Elder Klingler (from South Jordan). It's surprising that my other two roommates and I have not gotten sick yet because the people that have caught it are either in our room or in the room right next to ours. But don't worry about me because I haven't been sick at all! I must be blessed.
About 4/12 people in my district have gotten sick, but only 1 of them positive for the flu. The next day, we had an emergency meeting before dinner were a doctor gave us these inhaler type things to take once a day to prevent us from getting sick. I can't remember what it's called Dad but it's like Refle...somethin. To answer your question about the pictures Mom, as far as I know we are not allowed to send pictures through the email here at the MTC, but I think I can do it in the field. So I will have to print them off and send them to you in a letter sometime this week (I won't break the rules cause I won't be writing any letters). On Thursday, my companion(s) and I had our first teaching trial at a place called the TRC. It is kind of like our test for the week. This week's task was to greet them in Spanish, ask them questions to get to know them in Spanish, and then prepare the lesson accordingly and teach them for about 35 minutes. We taught them Lesson 1 from Preach My Gospel about the Restoration, and I thought it went pretty well. We are all moving along quite well with Spanish, and I know the Lord definitely has a hand in that one. Our district doesn't get to go to the temple today, but I did recently find out that we had been selected to clean the temple! So shortly after I finish this email my district will be getting ready to go over to clean the house of the Lord. I have no idea what to expect, but I think we're going to have a lot of fun!
Since I am a missionary...I feel it is my duty to invite all who read this email to come unto Christ, since that is my purpose. So I challenge you all to study Preach My Gospel, because it is one of the greatest books ever written. Or, you could read the greatest book ever written, the Book of Mormon! Particularly King Benjamin's lessons he taught in the early chapters in Mosiah. Thanks everyone for your support of me out here on a mission. I love you all and miss you all.
Love, Elder Tyler Tinkham
Mission of Elder Tyler Thurber Tinkham, Honduras Comayaguela, June 2009 - June 2011